Pest Proofing in Businesses
- “Pest-proof” your business by being vigilant of maintenance needs and common-sense pest prevention.
- Dispose of garbage regularly and store in sealed containers.
- Keep basements and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
- Look for rodent droppings in undisturbed areas, including closets, attics, and along floorboards, which indicate a pest problem.
- Seal cracks and holes on the outside of your business, including entry points for utilities and pipes.
- Keep tree branches and shrubbery well trimmed and away from the building.
- Repair fascia, soffits and rotted roof shingles; some insects are drawn to deteriorating wood.
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around the building’s foundation and windows.
- Don’t overlook proper drainage at the foundation; install gutters or diverts, which will channel water away from the building.
- Be sure your employees keep food sealed and stored properly.
- Clean high-volume areas daily, such as public eating areas and kitchenettes, where crumbs and trash are more likely to build up.
- Call a local pest management professional to identify the problem, survey for, and control the pest(s) using an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) approach.